Kapil Sibal is one of the best lawyers in India. He is known not only in the legal field but also in the political field. He has been the most articulate spokesperson of the Congress Party. Born in Jalandhar, Punjab, his family was forced to migrate to India during partition. Kapil Sibl has done his schooling from St. John’s High School. Then he went to St. Stephen’s College of Delhi University for graduation and did his LLB from Faculty Of law, Delhi University. In 1977, he did his LLM from Harvard Law School. His visionary leadership helped Congress Party in making several significant changes.
Some of the interesting facts about Kapil Sibal
- Kapil Sibal’s father, H L Sibal (a distinguished advocate) received the title of a “Living Legend of the Law” and was also honoured with the “Padma Bhushan” for his distinguished services in the field of law.
- Kapil Sibal qualified for Indian Administrative Services in the year 1973 and was offered an appointment. But he declined it and decided to set up his own law practice.
- He was designated as a Senior Lawyer in 1983. Six years later, he was made the Additional Solicitor General of India. He has also served as the President of the Supreme Court Bar Association three times.
- In 1988, he was elected as the member of the Rajya Sabha. He has served as the Minister of Communications and Information Technology, Union Minister of Law and Justice under UPA government.
- In 1994, he was the only lawyer in the Parliament, and successfully defended a Supreme Court Judge during impeachment proceedings.
- Kapil Sibal introduced the Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation (CCE) system in India for class IX and class X.
- In 2014, he lost his seat of Chandni Chawk Constituency to Dr. Harsh Vardhan of BJP.
- Kapil Sibal’s second Promilaa is the biggest exporter of beef in India.
- Kapil Sibal was highly criticised for stating that the exchequer incurred “zero loss” in the 2G spectrum. Also, his decision to regulate online content was antagonised across social networking sites.
- In 2006, Kapil Sibal was honoured with “Padma Bhushan”, the third highest civilian award, for his distinguished services in the field of Public Affairs.
- Kapil Sibal has written books like “My World Within (2012)”, “I Witness (2008)”, and “Kis Kis Ki Jai Ho”.
Despite of present political conditions, Kapil Sibal is being respected by all the political leaders and legal luminaries.